The devastating effects of HIV/AIDS and other illnesses such as TB has left a large number of vulnerable and orphaned children in Tanzania. Focus in Africa partners with several orphanages within Arusha to bring international volunteers to support these vulnerable children.
We are always looking for enthusiastic individuals wanting to make a difference and who have a great love for children. No previous experience is necessary nor do we require any special qualifications or skills but patience and understanding are qualities that are necessary. Volunteers can help in a number of different ways according to their skills and interests.
- Assist class teachers with the children
- Help mark homework and tests
- Assist with housework (cooking, sweeping, laundry, etc.)
- Plan outdoor games and activities for the children
- Quality time with the children (coloring, reading stories, movies)
- Assist with preparing newsletters and other correspondence
- Assist with administrative tasks for the orphanage
- Take children out to places in town for swimming, lunch, or games
Some of our volunteer opportunities include the following: